2016 was no short of good games, but none managed to make it to the list of most played games on Steam. Maybe gaming habits are hard to change.
Steam tracking is an interesting thing, and thanks to GitHyp that we get to know about many weird facts surrounding Steam gamers. The latest one among those is related with the most played games on Steam during the previous year.
The tool has now posted an analysis of the most-played Steam games of 2016, and guess how many of the top five were released in 2016? Zero.
Let’s take you through the games that made it to the top five.
- Dota 2 / 636,607 avg. players per hour (released in 2013)
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive / 360,600 avg. players per hour (released in 2012)
- Team Fortress 2 / 50,802 avg. players per hour (released in 2007)
- Grand Theft Auto V / 40,258 avg. players per hour (released on PC in 2015)
- Sid Meier’s Civilization V / 37,885 avg players per hour (released in 2010)
A certain fact was made clear yet again, for the umpteenth time; Dota is essentially the Steam king. But yeah, we all do know that, so let’s move on to other facts.
It’s never that 2016 was void of any games that was big and good enough to match those in the top five. Maybe it’s just that the gaming habits don’t change. It’s hard to suck out the addiction for games like Dota and Grand Theft Auto from the brains of many gamers.
Yet, games of 2016 have failed miserably when weighed on with their own predecessors. Take the case of Call of Duty, which was down by a whopping 76% compared to last year. Ubisofts’s Watch Dogs 2 also dropped behind the original by around 60%.
The above list is based on average players per hour across the whole year. Thankfully, certain games of 2016 have managed to climb up to the top five based on other stats, i.e. for the peak numbers of concurrent players in 2016. But still, Dota is the undisputed king. The first and second spot remain unchanged from that of in 2015, while the remaining three are new to the list.
- Dota 2 / 1,286,617 peak players
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive / 845,806 peak players
- No Man’s Sky / 212,321 peak players
- XCOM 2 / 132,834 peak players
- Dark Souls III / 129,922 peak players